Thursday, February 20, 2014

Run a Non-Default Browser in Metro: Windows 8

Today I started working on the 4th edition! No, I did not finish the 3rd edition. I mean, if I finished the whole thing I'd be really bored with this new edition since everything is pretty much the same except HTML5, the new CSS, and a section on understanding Javascript.

Did you know that Javascript actually has nothing to do with Java? The creators originally named it "LiveScript," but Java was really popular then, so the creator renamed it Javascript, or "JS" for marketing purposes.

I need to share something that really frustrates me about Microsoft. So you know the new Windows 8? Well, they have apps that can operate in metro, meaning in the tablet way, imitating the Apple ipad, etc. etc.

Okay. I'm not too cool with the metro thing. But since I have it anyways, why not use it? Okay, so I want to use IE 10 (the newest version of Internet Explorer) in metro. But Microsoft only allows you to use IE 10 in metro if it is set as your default browser! Why?

This is their ridiculous reason:

"Metro style enabled desktop browser may participate in the Metro style user experience only if it is the default browser... The restriction to limit Metro style user experience participation to the user's default browser is rooted in preserving the Metro style user experience."

Source: http://superuser.com/questions/490415/is-it-possible-to-use-the-ie10-app-without-making-internet-explorer-the-default

I don't want to set IE as my default browser because then every time I run my html files, they run with IE:
From the source up there, I learned a way to get around Microsoft's ridiculous rules!

You go to Default Programs (search from start) > Set your default programs. Choose IE, and set it as your default browser:

Then, on the left hand side, click on the browser you want as your default, the one you want to open html files with. For me, it's Google Chrome. Click choose defaults for this program.

The extensions part should look like this:


Make it look like this by checking everything in extensions:

Now go back to your files and they'll open with Google Chrome!


And IE runs in metro:


Take that, Microsoft!


No comments:

Post a Comment