Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Internet versus the Web

Just to mention, I will be transferring this blog off blogger to my own server with my own domain name, etc., created using my own will-be-amazing web designing skills. But, as that is too advanced for me right now, this blogger will do very well!

Learning Web Design book coverI'm reading/learning/coding from this web design book called Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to (X)HTML, Style Sheets, and Web Graphics by Jennifer Niederst Robbins. The most recent edition is the fourth, but I borrowed the third edition from the library. I think this book is really helpful because it is very easy to understand, and it is very interesting but at the same time explaining all the theory.

For example, I learned the difference between the Internet and the Web:
  • The Internet is simply all the computers that are connected together. The reason they are connected is to share information and stuff like that.
  • The Web, or the World Wide Web is only one of the ways for sharing information over the Internet.
I'm guessing the book didn't specify what other ways exist for the same purpose because web design uses the Web. I did hear that the other ways share information through simply text, so the unique thing about the World Wide Web is that things other than text such as pictures, videos, and audios can be shared. Does anyone know about these other ways of sharing information in a bit more depth? Please comment!

4 comments:

  1. Do i need to study the code in order to learn to create a website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to learn web design from the start, I REALLY recommend you borrow/buy that book Learning Web Design I introduced in the “The Internet versus The Web” post. Meanwhile, codecadamy is a great website to learn some hands on coding. You can try the HTML lessons, and if you like it, you get an account (free!) to save your progress, etc. You can even try learning Javascript, which adds interactivity to web pages!

      Delete
  2. An example of other use of the Internet is FTP (File Transfer Protocol). It actually predates the World Wide Web and still use frequently by people to transfer large files from one computer to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see. Thanks! I did a little research on FTP, and I found out that another one is SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) for emails and such! So FTP is for files, HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) is for the web, and SMTP is for email! Source: http://searchenterprisewan.techtarget.com/definition/File-Transfer-Protocol

      Delete